Tuesday 18 July 2017

On His Knees (Riverheart #5) by Adira August



13k words
Publisher: RedDeer
Buy links: Amazon US | Amazon UK
Available via Instafreebie until August 1st, 2017. 


Blurb

Sometimes it's the cop who needs to hit the floor... As a homicide cop, every blood-soaked crime scene settled in my bones and snaked around my spine. There was only one way to exorcise the images from my soul ... 

Inside the club, I stopped to scan the room. He was here, Camden Snow. A Norse sex god in the guise of unpretentious youth. Only his ice-blue eyes gave evidence of the Dom who took whomever he wished, whatever way he wanted, with a look and a nod. Merciless. 

Cam found me watching him and fixed me with his arctic gaze. This time, I didn't walk away. He cocked an eyebrow. Well? 

The last thing I needed was mercy. 

I dropped to my knees. 

Review

OMG. This was stunning. And while this book is more or less one long BDSM scene, that’s not actually what I refer to when I call this a gorgeous story. Because as hot as these two men are, that is not what captivated me.

Now, before I go any further, I need to get one thing out of the way. These two men play (although that doesn’t sound like quite the right word to in the context of this story) in a no-safeword dynamic. If that is something you have an issue with, this may not be the book for you.

This is the story of Hunter, a cop who’s just experienced the worst day of his life. He’s been intrigued by Cam, a Dom in the club he frequents. He normally has very strict boundaries when going to his club, which means playing with Cam is never going to be an option. On the night described in this book, Hunter is near breaking point and all too aware of it. He needs something and he’d rather fall to his knees in front of the Dom who doesn’t allow safewords than be crushed by the weight he wears.

Cam is the, literally, ALL demanding Dom in question. He knows Hunter and has been keeping an eye on him, knowing full well that their personal demands and expectations made them incompatible. Until they weren’t anymore…

Their scene together took my breath away. Not so much because it was hot, although God knows it really was. No, what really got to me was the way Cam was both exactly what Hunter expected and completely the opposite. I lost myself in both Cam’s and Hunter’s thoughts and observations. And the way in which Cam ‘broke’ Hunter with such exquisite care was breath taking.

Maybe the story could have been longer. It really is just one scene, a moment in time (but what a moment). But, since I knew there’s a second book featuring Hunter and Cam available, the length of the story didn’t bother me. I read it more like a prequel to what’s to come than a stand-alone story, I guess. But as such, it certainly worked.

As I mentioned above, this title is currently available via Instafreebie and, if you enjoy BDSM, you’d be a fool not to pick it up. Personally, I’m going to get my hands on Matchstick Men as soon as I possibly can. These two men combined with a mystery to solve should mean a one way street to book heaven for me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Helena! And what a beautiful review! I honestly cannot wait to hear what you think of Matchstick Men. Gah!

    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35439195-matchstick-men

    JLT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, neither can I, but I'll have to since the fund are a bit low at the moment. That review of Matchstick Men you wrote was the reason I picked up On His Knees in the first place. :)

      Delete