Sunday 17 July 2016

Endings and Beginnings by KC Wells and Parker Williams - Pre-Release Review



Pages: 350
Date: July 17, 2016
Details: Collars & Cuffs # 8
            ARC received from author
E-book

The blurb:

In all his relationships, Darren Fielding never found the level of intimacy he witnessed between Thomas Williams and his sub, Peter, the day of Peter’s “rebirth.” Not only that, he never realized such intimacy was possible. For two years, Thomas’s business card has been burning a hole in his wallet. When Darren’s lover moves on, maybe it’s finally time to see where that card takes him.

Collars & Cuffs’ new barman, JJ Taylor, is really conflicted right now. He went to the club with a very specific purpose, already convinced of what he’d find there. Except it’s not what he expected at all. He certainly didn’t anticipate finding himself drawn to the new wannabe Dom. Nor could he have guessed the direction that attraction would lead him.

Old love, new love, vows, pain, rage, moving in, moving on…. The members of Collars & Cuffs face an event that touches some of them deeply, but it will only reinforce what they already know: together they are stronger, and some bonds cannot be broken. 

My thoughts:

So we all know I don’t do re-reads. And yet here I am, just after finishing the re-read of a book I beta-read not too long ago. And I enjoyed every single word of it. In fact I’m so glad I took the time to read this story again I may have to reassess my ‘no re-reads’ rule.

Last books in a much loved series are always a scary prospect. Of course I want to know how the story is going to end, what the universe I’ve gotten so attached to will look like when I have to say goodbye for the last time. But on the other side is the reluctance to end what has been an amazing, thrilling and exhilarating love affair with a world and characters that have become so real it feels as if they’re part of my life.

But, the main thread of this story is the coming together of JJ and Darren. JJ has gotten the job in Collars & Cuffs for reasons that have nothing to do with a taste for BDSM, but the reasons he thought he had soon turn out to be founded on nothing besides wishful thinking on his part, and between the interactions he observes in the club and meeting Darren, he soon discovers that BDSM does indeed hold charms he’d been previously unaware of.

Darren is an all round decent—not to be confused with boring because Darren hasn’t got a boring bone in his body—guy. He’s been flirting with the idea of BDSM ever since he witnessed an intimate scene between Thomas and Peter, but it takes meeting JJ to send him on his path. Something about the younger man awakens Darren’s instincts to take care and protect. And even JJ initially refusing to be helped and distrusting his motives doesn’t deter Darren.

JJ has issues with trust, HUGE issues with trust, and it will take patience, care, love, and unconditional honesty on Darren’s part before JJ can truly accept that he has found the love and safety he’s always longed for.

While the main story line in this book belongs to Darren and JJ, every other couple we’ve come to love over the years makes an appearance. Their stories may have been told in previous titles, but that doesn’t mean their lives ended when their books did. Loose ends are tied up, things hinted at in the past come to fruition, and happy endings become even happier.

As such, I’m not sure what my favourite parts of this book were. As much as I enjoyed Darren and JJ’s journey, I couldn’t help being delighted every time the story stepped away from them for a moment, allowing me to spend time with Alex and Leo, Peter and Thomas, Scott and Ben, Pietro and Miles, Jarod and Eli and Jeff and Damian. Those moments, combined with the ups and downs of JJ and Darren's journey, brought me smiles, made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes, both of the happy and sad variety. I have to be honest and admit that both times I finished the book I felt as if I’d been put through an emotional wringer, but in the best possible way.

And so the story has reached its finale, because all good things must come to an end(ing). But don’t despair too hard. The clue is in the title, Endings and Beginnings. Or as Eli says it:

“This might be the ending of one story, but I promise you, it’s the beginning of another”

The ‘beginning’ of what exactly is for me to know and for you to find out when you read this wonderful book. I couldn’t possibly reveal all the secrets here. J




Buy links:


Dreamspinner          Amazon         Amazon UK                      Are

No comments:

Post a Comment