Sunday 11 January 2015

Going Home by Max Vos

GOING HOME by Max Vos
 
Pages: 128
Date: January 11,2015
Grade: 4
Own / Kindle

The blurb:

“Journalist Carter Roberts was required to interview Carl Foltz and Matt Evans for an article on their lives. It was not an assignment he relished: he just wanted to get there, get it done and get out. Thinking about the subject matter made his stomach churn.

The interview reveals as much about himself as about the two men, and for the first time, Carter learns what a real home feels like. He never would have expected that meeting the two men would change his way of thinking – and his life – forever.”


WARNING: Contains materials for ADULTS only. If you have any reason to think that you cannot or will not tolerate any type of mature subject matter, please do not continue. If you have any issues with any type of taboo, or what you may consider taboo material, please do not read. If you have a closed mind about any sexual activities whatsoever, please put this book down or delete it now. If you truly believe that love is love, then by all means, continue.

My thoughts:

I don’t usually copy the reader advisory with the blurb but thought I’d make an exception for this book because the subject matter is somewhat controversial, to put it mildly.

I wasn’t overly worried about reading this book. I’m not easily offended or shocked and will give almost any book a chance before voicing my opinion. My sentiments while reading this book pretty much mirrored Carter Roberts’ who narrates the story. The relationship between Carl and Matt may be very unusual and something most people would instantly frown at, the way it was described, made it beautiful and plausible. I mean this wasn’t a story about an adult taking advantage of an unsuspecting youngster. Nobody in this story is underage or too young to know their own minds and needs. So while it certainly was a story with a theme I’d not come across before it was ultimately nothing more and nothing less than a hot love story.

Well actually, it was more. It is also a touching story about coming home and making your own home with those you belong with. Carter at last finding a place where he’s wanted, loved, fully accepted, and able to be nothing but himself was beautiful and satisfying.

I can’t help feeling this story was more a dream – a form of wishful thinking – than a realistic contemporary romance. And that is fine. I can’t speak for anyone else but I occasionally need a story in which things just go right for the characters, regardless of the obstacles they’re up against. This story moved very fast at times, feelings we’re recognised almost instantly and acted upon without a lot of thought or reflection, but that made me smile rather than frown so I really can’t complain about it. And as dreams go, this one was rather hot.

Overall Going Home was a sweet yet thought-provoking story. I didn’t expect to be shocked or horrified when I started this book but was surprised when the controversial idea failed to bother me at all. I happen to agree with the sentiment in this book; if it’s love between consenting adults and it doesn’t set out to hurt others, there is no reason why the rest of the world should have an opinion about it, never mind interfere.

Thank you Max Vos for this delightful journey out of my comfort zone.


2 comments: