Tuesday 23 June 2015

SILVER SCARS by Posy Roberts



Details:

· Title: Silver Scars
· Author: Posy Roberts
· Publisher: Labyrinth Bound Press
· Genre: MM Romance, Contemporary Romance
· Length: 86,700 words
· Release Date: June 22, 2015

The blurb:

“A bomb destroyed high-powered lawyer Gil Lemieux’s seemingly perfect life, and PTSD has ruled every decision since the explosion that left him scarred inside and outside. Moving home with his mom is meant to be a temporary measure, just like proofreading for a medical editorial firm is meant to be a stopgap. But two years after taking on the wrong court case, he’s still living in fear.

Keith Kramer might be based 1,500 miles away from Gil, but their shared work brings them together—a chance meeting that’s life-changing. Gil is drawn to Keith’s good looks and intelligence, but it’s his innate understanding that Gil is more than the scars on his skin that is truly attractive. He’s everything Gil used to be and more. It blows Gil’s mind that his attraction might be returned.

Only doubt could widen the distance between them. Keith’s hopefulness, borne out of surviving some tough challenges of his own, isn’t enough to bridge the distance alone. Gil will need to believe he has as much to offer as Keith if they’re to build a life together.” 

Buy links:

My thoughts:

“You’re my oldest friend. I couldn’t leave you to deal with this shit alone. It might’ve been what you thought you wanted, but that’s utter bullshit. You need friends. You need people to love you, especially when you shove them away.” – Frankie


If you have been following my reviews I guess this is getting kinda repetitive but...oh my gosh, wow. Silver Scars is a very special book. It touched me, took me by surprise and left me uplifted and awed.

This book was not what I expected at all, in the best possible way. I feared a book filled with angst and despair but got a story about determination and hope. I expected a stronger, basically unscarred, character to be the support for another, weaker one. I got two flawed but strong men who kept each other up and running in what may well be one of the most beautiful descriptions of give and take I’ve ever read in my life.

Silver Scars is not a traditional love story in the sense of a ‘will they / won’t they’ plot. The love between these two men is never in doubt. The big question in this romance is whether or not the two characters are able to love and trust themselves enough to allow another to love them, able to believe they’re worthy of that love. This story is about people having to reassess themselves and their lives and eventually come to the conclusion that different doesn’t mean less.

And the author gets how the recovery process works; two steps forward, one step back. She describes the frustration and helplessness someone experiences when hopes are dashed and illusions shattered so subtly and yet so well I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it came from personal experience.

Keith and Gil are going to be living in my head for a while; they made a lasting impression on me. The sort of impression where it is almost possible to forget they are fictional characters. They were real. While they are both nice and easy-going by nature, their circumstances make them angry, scared, snarky and sometimes less than kind and that’s exactly the way they needed to be. I loved their interactions both in the good times and the bad. And when the two of them get together they are very sexy. I can safely say Keith and Gil have made me look at Skype calls in a whole new light – talk about hot.

Silver Scars is a wonderful story about pain, loss, hope, silver linings, courage, and, most of all, love. I can’t recommend this book enough.

“You’re not broken. I’m not chopped to bits. We’re just two men who occasionally have the past still nipping at our heels.” – Keith

Ps. Posy, if you’re reading this; please tell me Frankie will get a happy ending of his own?

The Author:

Posy Roberts writes about romantic male love. Whether her characters are family men, drag queens, or lonely men searching for connections, they all find a home in her stories.
Posy is married to a man who makes sure she doesn’t forget to eat or sleep; her daughter, a budding author and dedicated Whovian, helps her come up with character names. When Posy’s not writing, she enjoys crafting, hiking, and singing spontaneously about the mundane, just to make normal seem more interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment