Friday 19 December 2014

Family, A Holiday Novella

FAMILY, a Holiday Novella by Brigham Vaughn
 
Pages: 84
Date: December 19, 2014
Grade: 4.5
Details: No. 3 Equals
Own / E-book

The blurb:

"After too many holidays alone, Russ Bishop and Stephen Parker decide to invite Russ’ family to spend Christmas with them. Russ wants to repair the fractured relationships with his father and sister, and Stephen wants to feel like he’s part of a family. 

But when Russ’ sister, Addie, brings an unexpected guest, it makes an already challenging situation more complicated. The Christmas Stephen gets may not be as perfect as the one he imagined but perhaps happiness can be found in the flaws."

My thoughts:

Over the first two books in this series, Equals and Partners, I’ve gotten quite attached to both Russ and Stephen. I’ve been invested in their relationship and happiness from the very first moment they got together and enjoy every glimpse into their lives as it comes my way.

The wonderful thing about these stories, for me, is the steady and realistic progression of the relationship between Russ and Stephen. If you’re anything like me you often wonder what might happen next to the characters once you finish a book. The Equals series gives you the opportunity to see what comes after the happy ending.

Brigham Vaughn impressed me with the way in which she portrayed a fragmented family coming together during what is a very stressful time of the year. The balance between politeness, tolerance and learning how to deal with each other was both realistic and intriguing. And I love that she didn’t make it a miraculously perfect get-together but rather showed the characters carefully laying the foundations for what may well turn into a wonderful family bond, over time.

As always Brigham’s writing is smooth and precise. This author doesn’t run away with herself or with her words. Instead she paints a vivid picture with clear brush strokes, allowing her readers to see the action and hear the dialogue.

I am very much looking forward to my next meeting with Stephen and Russ. Like I said, I’ve gotten quite attached to them.

“You know how much I wish I could change your past for you, Stephen, he said when he drew back.
I know, Stephen’s thumb caressed his jaw. But it’s enough you’ve given me a future.”


Buy Link:





The Series:

Book One: Equals



 Book Two: Partners


No comments:

Post a Comment