Wednesday 9 April 2014

COWBOY DREAMIN'

TITLE: COWBOY DREAMIN’
AUTHOR: STARLA KAYE
Pages: 49
Date: 08/04/2014
Grade: 3.5
Details: A 1 Night Stand Novella
            Received from Decadent Publishing
            Through Love Romances and More
Own / Kindle

The blurb:

“Kendra spends her days and nights running a business, sculpting, and leading a Tahitian dance group in Kauai. She can’t squeeze anything else into her life, but she dreams of cowboys. Sexy, hot cowboys in tight jeans, low-tipped Stetsons, and dusty boots. Men who know all about how to please a woman. She enjoys her fantasies, but can’t imagine ever settling down. But one night with one would be so nice. Surely that would get her dreams of a white knight cowboy sweeping her off her feet out of her system.

Because of an accident that Shane believes left him “less of a man,” he doesn’t see a wife and children in his future. Carson, his ranching partner—and sometimes lover—thinks Shane is wrong. Carson refuses to let Shane settle for a life of rodeo bunnies who only want a romp in bed with a bull rider. Shane deserves more than that. He manages to sign Shane up with a matchmaking service to, hopefully, meet another kind of woman, maybe someone who will appreciate Shane for the man he is. Except Madame Evangeline expects both of the cowboys to go on this special one night date. It doesn’t take long for either cowboy to realize that one night with the purple-haired, hip-shaking beauty in Kauai might not be enough….”


My thoughts:

Kendra is a very busy woman. Between her shop, her sculptures and the dance group she’s involved with there are not enough hours in the day. She definitely doesn’t have time to date. That doesn’t stop her from dreaming about cowboys though; just the thought of those tight jeans, the Stetson and dusty boots is enough to get her juices flowing. It’s just shame her only release comes from her wide array of toys rather than a real man. When her friend – who has successfully found her husband through Madame Evangeline’s One Night Stand service – sets Kendra up for a date of her own, she is not sure how to feel about it. Still a night with a hot cowboy might be exactly what she needs.

Ever since a rodeo accident five years ago, Shane sees himself as less than a man. Because he can’t see a wife or family in his future he satisfies his needs through casual encounters. Shane’s friend, ranching partner and sometimes lover Carson wants to help Shane get over his delusion and find happiness. When Carson discovers the One Night Stand service he doesn’t hesitate and signs his friend up.

All three are surprised when Madame Evangeline sets up a date between Kendra and both men. While Carson is more or less relaxed about the set-up both Kendra and Shane have their doubts. It isn’t long though before all three lose themselves in a wonderful night of passion; a night that will have rather unexpected consequences.


This was a nice and well set up story. I liked that the reader was given relatively much background information about the characters involved, especially keeping in mind that this is a short story. In fact, compared to the other ‘1 Night Stand’ stories I’ve read this book was rather light on the sex and heavier on the rest of the story-line. Not that I’m complaining; in fact it worked very well for me. I just thought I should point it out for those readers who pick up these books expecting wall to wall steaminess.

Another thing I have to point out is that while there are three people involved in this story it’s not really a ménage story – at least not in the way I’ve come to think of it. There is interaction between the two men as there is between each man on his own and Kendra, all of it hot and appetizing. We are however not treated to a threesome proper. I can’t say I missed it but given the labels attached to this title on Amazon and the publisher’s page, I was expecting something other than what I actually got.

Having said all that, I did enjoy this story. I liked the friendship with benefits between Carson and Shane and the lengths Carson was prepared to go to in order to rebuild Shane’s confidence. It took me a bit longer to warm up to Kendra because I couldn’t help feeling that her dating issues were self-inflicted, but as soon as she recognised Shane’s issue and acted on that realisation, I was sold on her as well.

I did have a bit of an issue with the way the story ended. On the one hand it made perfect sense that I didn’t quite get the happily ever after I might have been hoping for, but on the other hand, considering what is happening at that point in the story, it did feel a bit too casual. And that’s really all I can say about it without giving the whole plot away.


Overall I would call this a nice and hot quick read. I finished the story in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed my time with these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment