Sunday 27 October 2019

When All Is Said by Anne Griffin




272 words
Book Club Read

Blurb

Five toasts. Five people. One lifetime.

'An extraordinary novel, a poetic writer, and a story that moved me to tears.' John Boyne

'I'm here to remember - all that I have been and all that I will never be again.'

At the bar of a grand hotel in a small Irish town sits 84-year-old Maurice Hannigan. He's alone, as usual - though tonight is anything but. Pull up a stool and charge your glass, because Maurice is finally ready to tell his story. Over the course of this evening, he will raise five toasts to the five people who have meant the most to him. Through these stories - of unspoken joy and regret, a secret tragedy kept hidden, a fierce love that never found its voice - the life of one man will be powerfully and poignantly laid bare.

Heart-breaking and heart-warming all at once, the voice of Maurice Hannigan will stay with you long after all is said.

'A hugely enjoyable, engrossing novel, a genuine page-turner.' Donal Ryan

Review 

“I’m here to remember – all that I have been and all that I never be again.”

I know that line is in the blurb too, but it is so powerful I had to repeat it here, in my review. It is the essence of this book, a vivid description of Maurice Hannigan’s evening. Because the question at the soul of this book, as far as I’m concerned, is what constitutes a life? What matters when we near the end and we make up the balance of the years we’ve lived? Which are the memories that we hold on to and the ones we can’t shake, no matter how much we might want to? And who were the people who worked their way into our hearts and never left, even after their physical presence on earth came to an end?

As Maurice takes up his usual spot in the bar of the hotel, situated in a building that has haunted his life, he ‘talks’ to his son, who isn’t there and will therefore never hear the full tale of his father’s life. Unsurprisingly, it is in large part a tale of loss. The loss of Tony, who died too young of TB. The loss of Molly, Maurice’s baby girl who never had a chance to live. The loss of Noleen, his sister in law who despite having mental health issues played such a pivotal role in Maurice’s life. Maurice’s toast to Kevin, his son, isn’t at first glance, about loss. Kevin is still very much alive. But maybe that makes this toast even sadder, because it’s clear Maurice believes he never fully connected with his only child, who was the complete opposite of him. The final and biggest loss of all, the one that broke the camel’s back, is that of his wife, Sadie.

“No one, no one really knows loss until it’s someone you love. The deep-down kind of love that holds on to your bones and digs itself right in under your fingernails, as hard to budge as the years of compacted earth. And when it’s gone…it’s as if its’ been ripped from you. Raw and exposed, you stand dripping blood all over the good feckin’ carpet. Half-human, half-dead, one foot already in the grave.”

I’ve known for almost thirty years that loss can be a physical pain. And that, while the body recovers, the heart and mind take longer, and refuse to let go completely. That can be a blessing, but sometimes—and very clearly in Maurice’s case—good memories and even a life-time of love to remember and cherish are not enough to keep a person going. Combine loss with loneliness, and you come pretty close to a description of hell on earth.

“I didn’t need him to do anything other than just be alive.”

Poor Maurice, he blames himself for not being good enough to and for any of his loved ones. And yet, as I read his tale, all I could see what his humanity. He lived his life as most of us do, trying his best and not living up to the standards he sets himself. Because, while Maurice’s is the predominant voice in this story, you don’t have to read deeply between the lines to know that those he talks about would tell him he was more than good enough, despite his mistakes, misjudgments, and not always ideal decisions.

Part of me knew how this story would end when I read the blurb. All of me knew what was going to happen by the time I reached 5% of this story. For what it’s worth, I’m with Maurice on this one. Life may be and often is a gift. Gifts however, can be refused. And when a gift goes past its sell-by date, we are, or at least should be, allowed to discard it.

While I have no doubt there will be those who say that Maurice’s decision is selfish, I disagree. Because you can’t live your life for others alone.

Long story short, I loved this book. It took me through a full range of emotions, forced me to think and feel, and brought home, how much life has changed over the course of a life-time like Maurice’s. This is probably my favourite book club read of 2019, and I can’t wait until we get to discuss it. Opinions will, no doubt, be divided. 😊




No comments:

Post a Comment