Monday 22 April 2019

A Man of Some Importance by Jacqui Kelly




Self-Published
302 pages

Blurb

He wants to be President, but will his inconvenient past get in the way?

Patrick Devoy Kavanagh lives a double life. In public he is a man at the top of his game – celebrity lawyer, chat-show regular and patron of a number of children’s charities. But behind the scenes he is drowning in debt, his legal practice is haemorrhaging clients and his PA is expecting his child.

The only way he feels he can escape his creditors is to raise his media profile and in doing so he ruthlessly exploits his family and friends. So successful is he that he is told in a radio interview that he should run for President. Patrick mulls this over and decides this is a great idea. He has all the skills, he can talk for Ireland – and it would sort out his money issues.

And so begins the march to the Áras and the promise of something for everyone.

But will his campaign succeed? There are many obstacles in his way, most of his own making, which threaten to blow his own family apart as the soap opera which is the race to become Uachtarán na hÉireann plays out.
Review

I’m not sure what to say about this book. I don’t want to be all nasty, but I really, really didn’t like the story. I always have a hard time seeing the good side of a story in which the main character has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and the fact that he keeps on getting away from it doesn’t make things better…far from it in fact.

Basically what we’ve got here is the story of an unscrupulous lawyer, Patrick Devoy Kavanagh who will literally use anything and everybody—including his current wife, his ex-wife, his children, his pregnant mistress, the partner in his law company, etc— in his life for his own ends. To be perfectly honesty, I’m not sure I was more upset with him being a crook or with all those people around him facilitating his behaviour and supporting it.

*Sighs* I can’t deny that a large part of my dislike stems from the fact that the behaviour as portrayed by our presidential candidate is not exactly unheard of in Ireland (and probably quite a few other countries, but I can’t speak about those). The brown envelope culture of bribery and under the table payments and agreements is all too common here, as is the almost casual acceptance that politicians and lawyers just operate that way and sure, he’s such a cheeky chappy, great company, so we’ll just ignore all the backhanded stuff.

The book just felt wrong. The first three quarters of the story is basically a litany of all his bad (at best) and illegal behaviour while the last part boils down to him being rewarded for being a selfish bastard. Maybe, if Patrick had had one or two redeeming qualities, if he’d shown even an ounce of human decency at some point, to someone, I might have smiled while reading the story and have appreciated it as a darkly comical look at Irish society. Since I didn’t manage to find a single moment where I could make myself believe that maybe Patrick wasn’t all bad, none of it worked for me.

I also wasn’t overly impressed with the name dropping. While side characters such as journalists all had made up names, those were so close to names of real life and currently active media people it felt a bit like lazy writing. And I also can’t help feeling that the book could have done with at least one more round of editing/proofreading.

After all of the above, you may ask yourself why I still give the book three stars (well, two-and-a-half stars rounded up). The reason is rather simple. While the main character in this story didn’t have a single redeeming quality, the book itself fares a little better in my estimation. This is a fast read, with events following each other at an almost impossible pace. And, for a book I didn’t really like, it read ridiculously easily. Although, that’s probably just as well. I’m not sure I would have had the patience to force my way to the end of the tale if it had been a tough read.



No comments:

Post a Comment