Sunday 15 February 2015

NO PLACE THAT FAR by L.A. Witt and Aleksandr Voinov

NO PLACE THAT FAR by L.A. Witt & Aleksandr Voinov
 
Pages: 215
Date: February 12, 2015
Grade: 4
Details: no. 5 The Distance Between Us
Own / Kindle

The blurb:

“Still finding his footing after a long-overdue divorce, Marcus is looking forward to some mind-numbing drinking while ogling the grooms at Chris and Julien’s wedding. He never expected his attention to be diverted by the gorgeous best man.

One of Julien’s French Foreign Legion buddies, Timur doesn’t speak much English, but language is no barrier to Marcus understanding exactly what the huge Tartar wants—a one-night stand.

Except that one night turns into two, three, then more, which puts Marcus on edge. After Timur is done house-sitting for the honeymooning couple, he’s headed back to the Legion for another five years. Like it or not, once Timur gets on that plane, the fling is over.

Unfortunately, Marcus forgot to tell his heart not to fall in love. And this time, if history repeats and he makes another wrong decision, he may never see his tattooed Legionnaire lover again.

Warning: Contains a soldier who makes up for his lack of English by using his hands to read his lover’s body; a chef-turned-bartender who no longer believes in love; a length of paracord that probably wasn’t meant to be used this way; and a couple of newlyweds who are game for some four-way play.”

My thoughts:

I’m running out of even remotely original things to say about the books L.A. Witt and Aleksandr Voinov write together (or individually for that matter). Whatever magic it is they create while co-writing, it works for me. Every. Single. Time.

No Place That Far was no exception to that rule. It’s a wonderful romance with just the right balance between fun, hot, and angst. If there was anything I missed in this story it was something that didn’t occur because it didn’t fit. Dialogue in Witt-Voinov stories invariably sparkles. In this book there was far less of that. Not because the authors have suddenly lost their magic (I doubt that could ever happen) but because one of the characters – Timur – just doesn’t speak enough English to make verbal ping-pong a realistic story element. In fact, I admire the authors for everything they could convey without being able to use dialogue. Having said that, I did miss those sparkling conversations I’ve adored in other books.

And then for the plot detail I know some readers are going to have a problem with; the foursome. Far from bothering me I thought it was beautiful, very hot and extremely well done. It was great to spend more time with Chris and Julien and the four men together had me mesmerized.


I still haven’t read all the books in this series and I’m sorta glad about that. Over the next few months I’ll be able to buy, read and enjoy the titles I’ve missed so far. I can’t think of many ways to better spend my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment